Thursday, October 28, 2010

Could Terminator Actually Be Next...?

From Screamscape:

Park News - (10/28/10) While we wait for Transformers to open, my sources tell me another park attraction already has a huge target on its head to be removed next. With the options of possibility being quite short at this point, it probably comes as no surprise that Terminator 2: 3-D is said to be next on the hit list, though honestly I’m still surprised that they haven’t opted to replace Waterworld yet first. Choosing a replacement for Terminator may be a bit more tricky, as the attraction is actually built on the top floor of a large parking structure, which would put some serious limitations about what might replace it., unless they’ve got their eyes on a new 4D Theater concept that could be used to replace all the Terminator attractions world-wide. Anyone know more?


This is the Universal Studios Hollywood version of Terminator, and according to this update, it seems that it will most likely be the next ride at USH to go.

Screamscape also reported this about the Florida version in August:

(8/6/10) Universal Orlando has launched a new “Blue Sky” survey this week, one that mentions a lot of questions about certain popular movies: Lord of the Rings, Avatar, Twilight and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, Hitchiker’s Guide To The Galaxy and more. They also ask if you’ve read certain books by Sci-Fi / Fantasy / Horror authors like Stephen King, JRR Tolkin, Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov and Robert Heinlein.
However the end of the survey chooses to go into a lot of detailed questions about Lord of the Rings in general. Could Universal be thinking of nabbing up another big fantasy franchise for a future park addition? For me it also asked a bunch of questions about adding a Terminator attraction… which is strange since they have one, but it looks like they want new ideas for a new one. Perhaps it’s time to replace T2/3D but may want to replace it with a new Terminator themed attraction. Fine by me… I always wanted to see that once proposed Terminator themed indoor/outdoor roller coaster concept.


Now for my thoughts: For some reason, I don't know why but I'm starting think that Terminator could be next. It got a little old lately. =/ I doubt they will replace T2 with another Terminator attraction. IDK, it seems to me that if they were to replace Terminator with something, it would be something non-Terminator related.

Anyways, I'll keep you updated...

UPDATE: I'm starting to think that this rumor may indeed be true. This might or might not be involved, but Six Flags Magic Mountain built Terminator Salvation: The Ride in 2009:

http://www.rcdb.com/4173.htm

Now that's got me thinking, why would there be two Terminator attractions in the same competitive market?

This increases the possibility of removal. And I also remember this Screamscape report back in May:

2013 - Rumor - Transformers - (5/7/10) Is Univesal Studios Japan looking to get in on the Transformers ride action? According to a mystery e-mail I got today, the park may be looking into closing their Terminator 2/3-D attraction in the future to may way for a Transformers ride as early as 2013. After all, we know the Japanese love giant robots. My only concern however is that the Transformers ride is supposed to be fairly similar, technology wise, to the Spiderman ride, and at Universal Studios Japan, Spiderman is virtually next door to T2/3D.


While I certainly doubt that Transformers will end up replacing T2 in Japan (if it does arrive, it will probably replace the Backdraft attraction, since the one in Hollywood is taking over their Backdraft attraction, and Universal usually does something similar if the ride has a clone), I've got to wonder if this rumor will be involved with the other two rumors (of Hollywood and Florida's version getting the axe).

As for a possible 4D attraction, I'd be all for a new one... as long as it is not World of Warcraft... =|

No comments: