Saturday, September 19, 2009

All Harry Potter Details Revealed

On September 15, 2009, all the details for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter (the new island debuting at Islands of Adventure) have been revealed to the public. Let me give you an overview:

Hogsmeade:

I'm really digging the look of Hogsmeade. Gift shops will include Zonko's, Honeydukes, Three Broomsticks, Hogs Head, and Owl Post. There will also be a meeting space called the Owlery, and as soon as you enter the new island from the Lost Continent, you hear the Hogwarts Express whistling. I also saw concept art of Hogsmeade, and I really like it!

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey:

The mystery ride being built inside Hogwarts Castle is revealed: Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. I really like the look of the entrance. The ride will be a robo-arm coaster (this should be interesting) and will take you through scenes of the books and films (I like the books better). The gift shop will be Filch's Emporium of Confiscated Goods.

Flight of the Hippogriff:

The former Flying Unicorn will become Flight of the Hippogriff themed to the hippogriff that appeared in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban: Buckbeak. The station will be themed to Hagrid's Hut. I really like its new look!

Dragon's Challenge:

Dueling Dragons will be rethemed to Dragon's Challenge (themed to the First Task of the Tri-Wizarding Tournament in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire). The entrance will be in Hogsmeade across from the Three Broomsticks (which I kinda like) and the pathway will be behind the Owlery and the Owl Post. I also like how there are flags around the entrance to the building holding the queue and station. There will be two sides: Hungarian Horntail and Chinese Fireball. I think the fire dragon will become the Chinese Fireball, and the ice dragon will become the Hungarian Horntail. The gift shop will be Dervish & Banges at Hogsmeade.

Now there is one thing though: the name, Dragon's Challenge. Seriously, was that the best name they could think of? They could have thought of some other name better than Dragon's Challenge like "First Task." If I make an rct3 version of IOA after Harry Potter opens, I will not name it Dragon's Challenge, but First Task. Other than that, I really like how First Task (forget Dragon's Challenge, I will always call it First Task, Dragon's Challenge or not :) ) will be.

Ollivander's:

What's Ollivander's doing in Hogsmeade??? I thought he was in Diagon Alley.

Anyways, Ollivander's is between the Owl Post and Dervish & Banges (the First Task pathway will be behind it too). This is an experience where you find a wand and where, as Ollivander says, "the wand chooses the wizard." Also, around the park, all part of Magiquest, there will be objects around the other lands which can react to the magic of your wand. Cool!

My Opinion:

I really like everything that's happening with the Harry Potter island. The only thing though: Get a new name for Dueling Dragons other than Dragon's Challenge. Other than that, I adore the theming (not to mention the fact that I am a huge Harry Potter fan).

Is it Spring 2010 yet? XD

2 comments:

Driving Force of Nature said...

You know the one thing I don't get is why Universal doesn't use Griffindor versus Slytherin Quidditch as the theme for the roller coaster. It's so obvious.

Kyle said...

Yeah... I've been wondering the same thing. All they had to do was repaint the ice dragon's blue track to green (as in Slytherin) instead of naming it dumb Dragon's Challenge (which is why I'm calling it First Task)... or are they scared that guests will be confused between Hulk and Slytherin. What gives?