Monday, June 27, 2011

Knott's Berry Farm 2012 Giga?

I know it's been long since we heard a rumor of a possible 2012 coaster for Knott's Berry Farm, but now Screamscape has reported that Knott's could be building... what is perhaps in my opinion... their biggest investment yet. It's supposedly huge and will be very fast.

I'll let you read the report:

2012 - Giga Coaster - Rumor - (6/27/11) This rumor is a bit out there… so please take it all with a big chunk of salt in case it’s entirely bogus, but I’ve been sent a short list of very impressive stats for what Knott’s next coaster project MIGHT BE. As I said… this is all very out there right now, and if these stats are even close to being true for a possible 2012 project, Knott’s is going to have to start work on this project very soon.
Now, you might be asking yourselves, if the rumor is so wild, why do I post it at all? Simply because the stats match up with what I’ve been hearing about for the past year… that Knott’s was in the process of designing their version of version of Intimidator. This is said to be an Intamin Giga-coaster of the highest degree, with a custom layout inspired by both Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force. In short, Knott’s could be on the verge of building what many might consider to be the best roller coaster in the world.
While I don’t know anything really solid about the layout, it very well could travel throughout quite a bit of the park. Many might recall all those crazy survey markings that appeared throughout about half of the park about a year ago. The overall length of the ride is rumored to be just shy of 6000 feet, putting it just slightly behind Disney’s California Screamin’ coaster in overall length. As for the height… we’re talking about a coaster that could stand just shy of 340 feet with an amazing 85ยบ first drop back down to Earth. As long as the actual height of the first drop was at least 328 feet, I believe the top speed of this coaster would hit at least 100 mph. That would make this ride the tallest and fastest NON-LAUNCHED coaster in the entire world. One for the record books for sure… now if only our crystal ball is clear on this one. Wait and see… wait and see…


But wait, that's not all! From Jim Disney at Westcoaster:

Hopefully soon we'll find out if the numbers 337, 85 and 5900 are true. If they are, it could be a very fun turn for Knott's!


*faints and screeches like a banshee*

Oh... I rode I305... it was... awesome... and if Knott's builds one...

Now I'm glad I didn't get to go to Knott's last winter (due to a stormy day)! I'm guessing:

337 = height
85 = drop degree
5900 = length

And the ride may hit at least 100 mph... OH MY GOD! The last I heard before this was that the project was on hold, but now that the rumor mill is working up again... I might just have to go to Knott's sometime in the future!

If the rumors from last time prove anything, I believe the station will take the place of the Kingdom of the Dinosaurs building and it will travel through the south backstage area with an overbanked turn a little bit next to the Knott's hotel and I'm guessing the lift structure will be like I305's.

Like Screamscape said, if this rumor is true, construction should start pretty soon, whether it be next week or the week after, or sometime in July-August. I305 started real construction in June (though I believe there was some kind of land clearing before) and Millennium Force started construction in July, so I don't think it's too early.

But either way, this is definitely a project to keep an eye on! I think I'm going to faint from excitement! =O

No comments: