Thursday, November 24, 2011

New Theme Park News

Again, I do apologize for neglecting the blog lately, but I have been terribly busy. Now I finally have the opportunity to update some things.

First off I will start with the name of B&M's new design that debuted this year. Yes it's official: it will be called the Wing Coaster. This pic is from IAAPA Trade Show 2011 (from ThemeParkReview):
























So we have our Wing Coaster name! I actually really like the name. =)

Dollywood:

So to start things off, let's look at our current Wing Coaster construction. Dollywood recently completed their Wild Eagle as of November 2, 2011. Here's two pics from ernierocker at ThemeParkReview from a recent backstage construction tour:





































This looks to be one of the most photogenic rides, especially when trees or flowers get added to that last pic.

Thorpe Park:

Swarm was also completed recently, on November 18, 2011 (from The Swarm - Developers Diary on Facebook):

















Keep in mind, when the plans were first seen, it showed some thematic elements installed, including an airplane at the bottom of the first drop (headchopper I think). With those installed, this will look incredible (not that it doesn't already, ESPECIALLY with that twist n' dive on top).

I know I keep saying this all the time, and it might sound repetitive, but FLORIDA NEEDS ONE (that and a hyper, giga, stand-up, and more Intamins and launched coasters)!!

Leviathan:

Getting out of the Wing Coaster zone, let's look at another one of B&M's impressive new coasters next year: the giga coaster, Leviathan, at Canada's Wonderland. Recently vertical construction started, and on the 18th, the 306 ft. lift hill has been topped off. It really towers over the park, and here are some pics from CWMania (the last one is from ThemeParkReview):






































































When I first saw the topped off lift hill, I dropped my jaw. The monster is literally dominating the look of the park, and I love it! This is the most exciting coaster next year for me! I hope I can experience this bad boy soon!

In the second picture, notice how the big box track above transitions into the standard B&M box track. Apparently this is a new design for B&M: essentially, their version of I305's support structure. Once the big box track separates from the main track, the big box structure goes to the ground, acting as a support. Hopefully B&M uses this in one of their future hyper/giga designs!

Skyrush:

Don't worry Skyrush, haven't forgotten about you! Vertical construction has begun for the new Intamin hyper winged coaster at Hersheypark on November 17, 2011. On the 19th track was already installed (with vertical construction being worked on the turn after the main drop):



















Just that turn alone makes me drool with anticipation! I305's turn after the drop was pure awesomeness, and I think this will be neat as well! This ride experience will be very unique (remember how the trains look like? ;) )!!

The more they come, the more I want one in the Sunshine state (come on, at least a hyper)!!

Six Flags Magic Mountain 2013:

Now the rumor side of things begin. Recently, SFMM has removed one of their log flumes: Log Jammer. Rumors are pointing towards the replacement being a record breaking coaster... possibly a giga (from TheCoasterGuy):

Brand new gigacoaster to be built were Log Jammer sits today @SFMagicMountain. Will debut for 2013 season.


It does seem possible to build a Giga, since the last coaster built that is Mega Coaster related is Goliath back in 2000. Also keep in mind, the farm in Buena Park is also rumored to build a Giga (yes, I mean Knott's) however the park will not get a new ride next year (according to a recent Cedar Fair press release). This makes me think it got delayed to 2013 (that or by next year, they mean when the 2012 season starts). So if it was delayed, we could be seeing a giga coaster war, almost similar to the 2009 coaster war in Florida (Rockit at Universal, Manta at SWO, and an all-new Space Mountain at MK). In short; if you go to SoCal, you will be in for quite a big treat in 2013!

Here is an overview of the Log Jammer plot of land to give a better idea of what may occur:

















I think some interesting rumors are coming soon.

No comments: